Monday, July 28, 2014

CALLIGRAPHY LOVE!

When I was around five or six, my mom called me to her room.  She looked upset and accused me of writing on our banister. I denied it, of course, and told her it wasn't me. She walked out of the room and pointed to the writing on the banister.  There it was, written with a black pentel pen: "Bunny".

Sinungaling na bata! Hahaha!

My whole point for telling you that story is this: for as long as I can remember, writing has always been my release.  It can be something as profound as poems, essays or short stories (I tried writing a book once but only got to Chapter 4) to something mundane such as doodling my name or writing a note for a friend.  I'm picky about my pens the same way I'm picky about the heels of my shoes.

I, obviously, haven't been writing as often here, but I still doodle quotes or song lyrics from time to time on the small notebook I carry around with me. It has been a dream of mine to always learn calligraphy so I can take writing to a new level.  Plus, I think I need a new hobby.

My friends and I joined La Bella Scrittura's workshop a few weeks ago and we had so much fun learning together that we decided it would be a good idea to join other craft workshops.

My calligraphy kit during the workshop


I thought I would immediately be good at calligraphy because my penmanship isn't half bad, but I digress. I'm used to writing a certain way and at a certain speed and it's just very different with calligraphy. And as with all things, practice is key and I have been doing drills almost everyday.  I think it is slowly paying off as I can see the improvement and difference in my strokes. 

One of my biggest frustrations in life is that I'm terrible at drawing. If you ever played Draw Something with me, you'd be able to attest to that FACT. So I bought myself a watercolor set and I am also now trying to improve my sketching skills. I also found a tutorial online on how to use watercolor as calligraphy ink (colored ink can be quite pricey).

 Here are some of the stuff I've done.


My output card during the workshop. I still didn't know how to string letters together

This looks more like my handwriting 


Wrote this for Argentina when they lost the World Cup to Germany

Recently discovered the wonderful work of Rumi, a Persian poet









My trademark daisy drawing
Please excuse my shaky fingers.
I'm improving, right?
 
 
I also need to practice more because my friends are getting married and they've asked me to write the names on their save the date cards.

I created an instagram account (@bunnywrites) just for my calligraphy stuff.  Follow me--only if you want to :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...