Tuesday, July 21, 2009

GLOBE RUN FOR HOME

I finished the 5k race in 45 minutes. And I'll be honest-- I'm pretty disappointed with myself because I finished my last marathon in 42.

I was hoping to finish this race in 35 or even 40--but 45mins? Gaaadd! I don't know if it was because I had my monthly visitor. There really is no excuse.

But hey, a run's a run and God knows I ran! In fact, I ran 3km straight even if the roads were uphill. When I checked my watch and saw that I was running for already 26mins, I knew I wasn't going to make it to my 35-minute target. How was I going to run 2km in 9 minutes? So I stopped to get water. Huhuhu!

I think my mistake was that I got too comfortable with my pace. Got too scared of getting tired agad so I threw off the idea of picking it up a notch and running faster. I have learned my lesson. I should do a lot lot lot better on my next marathon (Kenny's Urbanite Run). I will try to look pretty while running and sweating (wish ko lang!) and will train harder so I can run side by side with Marc Nelson and Rovilson Fernandez (I both find them hot for different reasons: Marc looks good but Rovilson is darn witty and I find that sooo sexy).

While this marathon seemed pretty organized--race started on time, appreciated the distance markers, great and accurate route, etc (although some people had issues with Globe's VIP parking-- oo nga naman, ano ba naman yun?), I have a few things to gripe about:

  • ELECTRONIC TIMING CHIP- I was under the impression that the whole point of the electronic timing chip was so that runners could get their accurate running time right after the race or at least the day after. This news report actually says that the official results have already been posted on the Run for Home site.
Even the Globe site says: "After the race, you can check times, race results, and official photos on the Globe website." Well, where is it? I don't see it there!

  • POORLY-MANNED WATER STATIONS- While there were sufficient water stations, there was not enough water and the stations were poorly-manned. And I didn't want the carbonated drink they were giving away. The water stations were sooo crowded with runners scrambling for a paper cup and water. Wawa!
  • PRIZES WERE NOT GIVEN ON THE DAY OF THE RACE- Found out from Bald Runner that prizes were not given to the winners on the day of the race. Not even the medals or trophies or certificates were given! Apparently, they have asked the winners to claim their prizes at the Globe office. I feel for the athletes who join races just to earn money (We have our government to blame for this) and some of these athletes come from provinces pa. Tsk tsk tsk!
  • LOUSY CLEAN-UP COMMITTEE--As of Monday morning, paper cups used during the race were still scattered along Lawton Avenue in Fort Bonifacio. SHAAMMEEE!!!

Buti na lang, this race went to a very good cause!

2 comments:

notsquare said...

Sa iyo nalang si Rovilson kasi akin si Marc Nelson, ha? :)

Happy to hear you're joining Urbanite :D

Bald Runner said...

nice blog. congrats on your 5K race finish. in due time, you will develop your endurance if you consistently have your running workouts. develop strong legs, strong heart & strong lungs and you'll be surprised you will be improving in farther distances. good luck & hope to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...