Wednesday, July 25, 2012

HAVE A LITTLE FAITH

My boss lent me her copy of Mitch Albom's "Have a Little Faith" last month and insisted that I read it.  While "Tuesdays with Morrie" remains to be one of my favorite books of all time, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" was a huge letdown, which was why I was hesitant to read Have a Little Faith.

I was more apprehensive when I was told that it was about a rabbi who asked Mitch Albom to write his eulogy.  I was worried that it was going to be too preachy preachy and I'm not even Jewish.

But this book was not about religion, it was about faith in general.  And whatever trepidation I felt about reading this book immediately disappeared after the first few of chapters.

In a lot of ways, it strengthened my faith in humanity and my belief in the power of prayer.  A little sappy, I know--but I read this book at a time that I needed faith the most.   I don't know if my boss sensed that or if she simply wanted me to read a good book.  Nevertheless, this book worked.  It is a book to believe in.

And yes, I cried sobbed.

So before returning it to my boss, I took snapshots of my favorite quotes.  Sharing them with you.


ON CHANCES 


LIFE'S PURPOSE


FAMILY


ON COMMITMENT


ON RELATIONSHIPS


ON PREPARING FOR DEATH


SLEEPING IN A STORM


WE TAKE NOTHING


A DAILY PRAYER


WHAT A HOME REALLY IS


THE FINAL MINUTE


ON THE THINGS WE DO NOT SAY


TRYING TO BE BETTER


Other quotes I wasn't able to take a snapshot of:

ON MARRIAGE
“I think people expect too much from marriage today,' he said. 'They expect perfection. Every moment should be bliss. That's TV or movies. But that is not the human experience.
. . . twenty good minutes here, forty good minutes there, it adds up to something beautiful. The trick is when things aren't so great, you don't junk the whole thing. It's okay to have an argument. It's okay that the other one nudges you a little, bothers you a little. It's part of being close to someone.

But the joy you get from that same closeness--when you watch your children, when you wake up and smile at each other--that . . . is a blessing. People forget that.” 

ANOTHER ONE ON DEATH
“If you could pack for heaven, this was how you'd do it, touching everything, taking nothing.” 

ON AGING
“Getting old we can deal with. Being old is the problem” 


1 comment:

notsquare said...

I enjoyed reading this post. Felt like I was reading the book too.

Luv yah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...