Tuesday, April 2, 2013

RECIPE: MILO CAKE

Happy Easter, everyone!

So here's a fun fact about me: I got my nickname because I was born on an Easter Sunday. And because of that, I feel like it's my birthday everyday Easter.

I have been planning on baking something using Milo for awhile now and last Sunday, it was a toss-up between Milo cookies or a Milo cake.

But since it was Easter and I wanted to celebrate a bit, I opted for the cake.  I decorated it with store-bought chocolate eggs and shavings of a chocolate bar to make it look like a nest.

This is only the second cake I have baked in my life and the bad news is, I made a little blunder with this recipe. Instead of using my large ramekin (which I used to bake my first cake), I decided to use my cake pan which turned out to be a little too big.  So instead of ending up with a cake that was 3-4 inches high, I ended up with a cake that was only close to 2 inches, kinda like a pie.  The good news is, and also why I am sharing this recipe is because this cake was so delicious and moist and just the right amount of sweet, I had 3 slices in a span of 12 hours. Please don't judge ;)

The next time I make this cake--and I will make it again--I would just double the recipe so I can put a layer of milo chocolate frosting in between cakes and I would make pink or teal frosting for the outer part of the cake. Salivating now just thinking about how incredible that would look and taste.

Anyway, back to reality--A lot of people have been asking me for the recipe.  Here you go!



INGREDIENTS:

For the Cake
150g light brown sugar (150g=.63 cup= 10 tablespoons)
100 g white sugar
3 eggs
175 ml milk
2 tablespoons of  softened butter
3.5 tablespoons of milo
150g flour
1.5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
For the Icing
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
3 tablespoons of Milo
1/2 cup of butter
about 3 teaspoons of boiling water

Preheat the oven to 170C.

Using a mixer, combine sugars and eggs until light and frothy.

Heat the milk, butter and Milo together in a saucepan until the butter has melted and it's all hot--not boiling.


Start mixing the egg and sugar mixture again while pouring half of the milo-butter-milk mixture over it.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda then pour the remaining half of the milo mixture and just keep mixing until it is free of lumps.  Once that's done, mix it with the contents of the other bowl.

Line the bottom of your cake pan with baking paper and grease the sides with butter. Pour batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake starts to pull away from the sides. Another trick I have learned when baking cakes is you'll know it's done when it springs back lightly when touched at the top.  

When cake is done, remove from oven and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before turning it over and removing it from the cake pan.  

Now the frosting.  Using a mixer again, combine sugar, cocoa and milo until free from lumps. Add butter and mix until almost smooth.  With the mixer still on, add the boiling water a teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency for frosting.  Continue mixing for another 10 minutes.

Never frost a hot cake because your icing will just melt.  Once my cake cooled, I let it sit in the ref for about 20 more minutes and that's when I frosted it.  After frosting, I suggest putting your cake back in the ref for another 10 minutes before devouring.

I hope this fulfills what your sweet tooth craves. Toodles!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...